Since I didn't go anywhere for spring break, I stuck around Milwaukee volunteering at my internship for three days, taking two days off and working at Rock Bottom. The week was a blur and went by all too quickly. Needless to say, this is why I failed to post my journal entry by 4 pm on Friday.
One of the compliments that I seem to get often at Feeding America is how quickly I get things done. It makes me feel accomplished and admired by those with whom I work with closely. I never like to leave the office unless my project is done, granted if it is something like putting together media kits for Pound for Pound Challenge or other projects that need to completed over a few days, that's understandable. However I do try to work straight through the day so I can deliver something to my supervisor before I leave at the end of the day. Gina and Terri both appreciate updates, knowing where I am at with a project and the way I organize them. I try to be consist with how I file my projects, save them under the same folder and make sure those who need access to the documents have it. I feel more relaxed when I get home knowing that I accomplished as much as I did that day at Feeding America.
In addition to my usual projects (on going or day to day) I have mentioned to Terri and other employees that we should have recyling in our building. We send out hundreds of mailings to people on a monthly basis to solicit for donations and once we receive donors' contributions those mailings come back to us with their information and we get thrown away. Being a part of the "green generation" and having worked for a company like Diversey that emphasizes sustainablity and a cleaner future, I absolutely hate throwing away all this paper daily. We also have water bottles employees can get for free from the kitchen and soda for a smal price, those bottles and cans get thrown away creating additional waste. Terri acknowledged that others have mentioned recylcing for the building but they haven't had the time to look in to the costs and regulations for a food bank of their size. Which means, a new project for Kathleen during my free time.
It would be great to leave the place changed in some way, even it's only directly related to the environment. I hate throwing away recylable material so much that I even walk a block or so to recyle my garbage since my apartment does not offer it. Of course, fighting hunger is the number one concern for those of us at Feeding America but creating a healthier future includes protecting one's environment.
Some more exciting news from these past few weeks, one of my name suggestions to change FAEW annual Hunger Hike to something that encompassed walking and running was chosen as the new theme. Keep an eye out for registration for Miles for Meals September 2011, just one of the many ways Feeding America gets the community invovled to fight hunger.
Monday, March 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment