Monday, March 28, 2011

General Reflection

Halfway through my internship I feel as though some of my posts have become somewhat repetitive. I've talked about projects, promoted things for others to do to benefit Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin and made comments about the day to day work experience. Now what? I suppose I could sit back and reflect on my time spent at Feeding America over the past few months, changes I've made and things I'm looking forward too. After all there is less than two months until graduation and I need to figure out just what it is I'm going to do.

Kid's Cafe @ Wayman Center in Racine
Working at this site has made me proud and humbled. I get excited when I see Feeding America PSAs on television, radio ad spots and general mentions of the organization at the national or local level because I can say that I am a part of their mission to fight hunger. The whole reason why I chose to intern here was my experience with FAEW through Diversey, Inc. I learned more about the organization, volunteered at a Kid's Cafe in Racine, Wis. and grew to love the children that came there every Wednesday.  After coming home from a long day in class or at work I would open my fridge and think there is nothing to eat in there when in reality I probably had more options than most of the children I had worked with that week. I'm fortunate enough to have a working refrigerator, a stove and a microwave. I was raised on fresh, home cooked meals by my mother and I never had to wonder when I was going to get eat next. Unfortunately, not all these children can say the same thing.

Working with a non-profit like Feeding America makes one appreciate the smaller things in life. Sure, I have daily stressors but I doubt it is anything like those in need. I talk about what Feeding America does to anyone who will listen and post endless links and articles on Facebook or re-tweet from the national office's Twitter account to get others to pay attention. Hunger does not look like the extreme starvation that many see on the news in third world countries but it still exists in our backyards. 573,000 people rely on the food banks in Wisconsin for food every year. The eastern Wisconsin locaiton colllect 16 million pounds of food annually, distributing 14 million of that to 1,100 pantries and agencies in the region while reserving 2 million at all times for emergency situation. In 2005 when Hurrican Katrina struck New Orleans FAEW delivered that 2 million pounds of food and other resources to those relief efforts. Americans always seem to be so concerned with what is going on in other countries that they can't seem to open their eyes and take a real, hard look a what is going on here until something disatrous happens and the "forgotten America" is publicized.

Although I have only been at Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin since January I feel a strong connection to what they stand for and the people they benefit. I have worked in corporate America with Diversey and loved that as well because they are family owned (I even met Curis Johnson, fifth generation SC Johnson owner) and constantly look for ways to improve their community. Where I stand today, non-profit seems to be the best choice for me. I could care less what kind of money I make as long as I go home at the end of the day and feel reward in what I have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment