http://images.dexknows.com/previews/DNNY/DEFAULT_S1202041324_large.jpg
Traditional home style Italian? Sound delicious, but doesn't look too appealing. This ad is overwhelmed by the Microsoft Office clip art of a snobby man in a penguin suit, not too mention he's almost spilling red wine everywhere. The ad doesn't have any direction either... the viewer's eye is overwhelmed with competing colors and multiple type faces. The abbreviation of the street name throws me off as well, granted I googled this image so I don't know what city they are referring to off hand but I'm not sure what "Colo." is abbreviating. The ad also lacks balance and it almost has much going on, which overwhelms the viewer. The type face needs to be all the same (maybe with one different one to add variety) and certain elements could easily be eliminated or shrink in size.
I can tell what the "designer" was attempting to go for with his/her use of green, red and white (Italian flag) but the orange blob that makes "Live Entertainment" almost illegible accompanied by the stubby Frenchmen throws the ad off. Instead of bringing attention to the restaurant's name and location you become more focused on trying to decipher just what the text in the orange blob says and why a French man is serving you Italian dinner.


Some great observations here. Typeface can vary in size a bit to emphasize important parts and downplay less important areas, but I agree that too much variety of fonts, sizes, colors, etc. doesn't add up to a strong design, and the image used could absolutely be stronger.
ReplyDelete