Friday, April 15, 2011

The Final Weeks


Classes are winding down, well I guess I should say speeding up with less than month left, and graduation is on the horizon. I'm sticking around Milwaukee and moving into a new apartment with a work friend. Now here comes the time post-graduation where it's time to figure just what the heck I'm going to be doing once school ends.

This semester got off to a rocky start but now it's looking like it will end in happiness (well bittersweet happiness as friends move away). My time spent at Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin has been nothing but rewarding. I felt welcome here and now my supervisor and I are talking about potential employment opportunities as their donation seasons get busier after the next few months. With our upcoming Easter Egg Donation, Grateful Plate, Miles for Meals (formerly Hike for Hunger) and of course the Food 4 Holidays campaign these next several months will fly by. To be able to become a part of the team in a more permanent way would be awesome. I never thought I would want to work for a non-profit but FAEW has changed my mind.

Of course I cannot forget just what an amazing experience Marquette has given to me over the past four years. From not even being in my Top 5 list to ultimately becoming the school I knew was best for me - Marquette changed the course of my life. As dramatic as that sounds it's true, if it wasn't for my mother insisting that we visit here one September my junior year of high school I would have tossed their little postcard aside, packed my belongings and headed south to LSU instead. Although I am a die hard Tigers fan, I would have felt like a number lost in a school of nearly 50,000 students. In my years here I've made in to the Marquette Tribune a few times, twice for an unfortunate event that happened to my friends and I on September 18, 2009. The last time, however, was an opinion article I didnt' even think would get published because I basically said Trib editors lacked common sense when they had "The Situation" as a front page story after a weekend filled with more timely events.

Aside from my many trials and tribulations, the transition from McCormick to Mashuda, getting a job downtown and moving off campus solo, Marquette has made me in to the person I am today. That combined with the never ending support of my family and friends I can say I made it on May 22, 2011 when I become the first in my immediate family to graduate college. Hopefully three years from now I'll get to watch by baby sister (a freshmen in the education program) do the same thing.

Here's to you Marquette & all my fellow 2011 graduates:



No comments:

Post a Comment