![]() |
| Coursey of Bing images |
Smart phone applications allow us to be connected in places where, five years ago, we never would have even though about going online. Hated a movie you just watched? Boom. It's on your Facebook status the second you walk out of theatre so your friends don't waste their time. Confused as to why the hell (and who the hell) Esperanza Spalding won best new artist at the Grammy's? Tweet it. Someone is bound to give you an answer. Unfortunately, for people at work and TiVoing the Grammy's this suspense as to who won what awards is gone because it is all over Facebook and Twitter. Missed Sunday's big game? Don't worry, I'm sure you can get score updates on ESPN's mobile app or just check your Facebook - someone is bound to be ranting about the last play. This clearly hits a different dimention of privacy, I guess there is really no suspense and you can't be "left in the dark" unless you literally live under a freakin' rock. So you may get over it if you found out Spalding won the Grammy versus the Biebs, but what if last weekend's escapades were broadcasted on Facebook against your knowledge? Now what?
We can untag ourselves in countelss pictures and hide our profiles so well that nobody can even search for us(trust me, good luck finding me on Facebook) but unfortunately there is still so much unkown about the internet that it is hard to determine what is out there with our name associated to it. Not to mention, mom, dad and even Grandma having a Facebook now so you reaaaallly can't cuss out that professor for giving you an unfair grade on your midterm because less face it, we don't want to disappoint/embarass Grandma with our crude language. So my question to you is, is the internet really a safe haven to express ourselves? Or do you still feel the need to be cautious and look out for "Big Brother"?


This is a tricky topic to cover. I have mixed feelings about online privacy.
ReplyDeleteFor starters, take the fact that updating multiple social networks and other online technologies is becoming as much of a routine as brushing your teeth or stopping at a red light. We cannot not use social media, unless if we want to be considered as members of the Stone Age.
I am about to graduate from MU and all I hear is that in order to be noticed, you have to set yourself apart from the competition. You have to keep up on everything that is happening. This means partaking in blogs, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and everything in between. Sure, I can adjust my privacy settings to my liking, but if my profiles are unavailable to those that may be looking to hire someone like me, what's the point of even going through all the trouble of creating the perfect image?
My personal privacy guidelines are only expect people I truly know as friends, watch what I say, and watch what pictures are put up - all while making sure that I do not appear as someone completely different from who I actually am. I also go through all of the privacy settings to determine what works best for me.
I completely agree. It is extremely difficult to distinguish just what capacity of information should be shared. I find myself noticing people that I have never met "friending" me on facebook. To a certain extent I am worried about my privacy and what information is shared with the outside world. On the other hand it does seem a bit nonsensical for one to raise the privacy setting when trying to get yourself out there. I think it is very important to be wise in the information shared as well as maintaining an image that you are comfortable with anyone seeing.
ReplyDeleteI've gone through the process of endlessly clicking the privacy settings on Facebook. That being said I know that even with being basically invisible on the site, once it's posted there's no taking it back. I am extremely careful about what I post because I know that potential employers, professors and family members may see it.
ReplyDelete