Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week two at FAEW

This was a short week for me at FAEW since offices were closed on Monday for MLK and with school being back in session - Tuesdays and Thursdays are dedicated to classes.

I continued to work on some of the projects that I had started last week. I feel like I'm starting to get in the "groove" of things (so to speak). I have worked a lot more with FAEW's donors software program, Raiser's Edge, and started to get an insider's look at what type of contributions come in to the warehouse and our offices every day. It made me smile from ear to ear when we received an anonymous $10,000 donation. It made me think back to this summer with Diversey when we raised $10,000 for FAEW and here was one man/woman able to write a check to provide for others. It reassures me that although times may be tough for many of us in today's economy that people are still aware that there are those out there who cannot afford to put food on the table and these donors are willing to do as much as they can. Even a one dollar donation makes a difference, that's five extra meals we can provide.

I have a feeling my family and friends probably think I've become a spokesperson for FAEW with everything that I post on Facebook. I noticed I posted twice in two days regarding our PFP challenge and the option to donate using one's state tax form.  Most people don't know what Feeding America is or what they do so I want to make it known to everyone regardless if you can donate one dollar or one hundred dollars, your donation is helping those who truly need it. As Gee would say, social networking is the future for business reviews and the success of those businesses.

I'm really enjoying my experience so far. My supervisors take my suggestions seriously, they are always willing to listen to some ideas that I may have for media pitches, fact sheets or other PR/communications related items that can benefit FAEW. They are very approachable and I never feel like they don't have time to talk with me or show me how to do something. Feeding America is expanding and while they have not been huge on advertising, this is something that Sue and Gina have asked me about because they want to know what I think can grab someones attention and get them interested in FAEW. When I wrote my first media pitch and direct mail letters last week I was nervous and unsure of how Gina or Sue would respond because I had never written in the mindset of working for a non-profit before so I wasn't sure what would be too formal or thee normal writing style FAEW prefers. I searched their internal hard drive to read past press releases, news letter, etc in order to create a letter that would sound like it came from someone experienced at FAEW and not a brand new intern. Needless to say, I was nervous when I handed my first copy to Gina but so excited when she came back with minor corrections and she was pleased with my capabilities. I was very glad that she had been so pleased with my work. Gina has experience with WTMJ 4 as a news producer and she has been with FAEW as a communications manager for seven years. I think this experience over the next semester (and maybe longer!) will help me develop my writing skills and become more experienced and confident in my capabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment